Friday, May 16, 2008

Benefits of being a mom

Sunday morning I woke up to breakfast in bed, with all my children bringing something whether it was french toast, milk, orange juice or a gift. Within 10 minutes I realized the best of Mothers Day was over when each child had already quarreled with at least one other child-hazards of having 5 kids in 7 years. I made a good dinner that was ready to come out of the oven when we arrived home from church. Barbecued chicken breasts, cheesy potatoes, rolls and corn with basil and butter. We had a nice dinner together, no fighting in fact things were pretty quiet. We were all exhausted, Kevin could hardly function. Trevin could hardly keep his head up. He'd got off work at 12:30am (of course we wait up for our children until they get home so we can all be exhausted the following day). Add 9:00 church meetings and you understand our demeanor during dinner. I watched as everyone finished eating, leaving their plates on the table, forgetting that mom's day off of dishes is Sunday. They all went their various ways, except for my Jaide. She was still in the "Mothers Day Mode". We did dishes together. She helped clear the table and wash down the cabinet tops. She asked, "Are you sad that everyone else made you do the dishes on Mothers Day?" I realized that I wasn't. She was very sweet to worry about me. The fact that I know how bad she hates the dishes and was still there happily helping me, concerned for my feelings made up for it all. Besides, why celebrate Mothers Day if I am grumpy about being a mom? The Savior doesn't take Christmas off. It was nice to give my family some much needed nap time. Especially Kevin and Trevin. It made for a much happier evening. I even got an apology from Kevin and a back rub out of it. His rubs are endangered so I think it was worth it.

The next afternoon, my son Kalten came home from school a little late. He'd stopped by the store and bought me a rose with baby's breath. It's beautiful. I figured he was extending Mothers Day for me. He said it was just because. Yesterday (Thursday) he stopped by the store again and purchased me flowers, this time a bouquet of yellow and pink daisy's for me. Maybe I gave him more candy than the other kids once when he was younger, or maybe I gave him a band-aid without making him prove there was blood. Whatever it was, he loves me, and I like the benefits of being a mom.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Look at you! I just ran across your comment on my blog. What a nice surprise! And now you have a blog of your own. I have to say that I LOVE this whole bloggin thing. I despise scrapbooking, and journaling and all those things that we should be doing to document our lives, and blogging (for me) is perfect! Keep it up! I'll add this to my list and check it. It's fun to leave comments and read others comments. It is SO good to hear from you. My email address is:
kristi_kunz@yahoo.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...