Monday, August 3, 2009

A Day In The Life Of Tim

As most of you know Tim is our 17 year old Autistic PCS child. We love him to death and I believe he feels the same. Since he's definitely part of the family I just have to share some of his sense of humor and independence.

A couple weeks ago I found myself alone (a rare occasion) when Tim got home from school. I got him out of the van and he plopped right down on the sidewalk. Now anyone who has a child 1 1/2 to 2 years old understands that sometimes kids just don't want to go. What do you do? You pick them up and go anyway. Try that with a child that's 190 lbs. Yeah, doesn't work out so well.

This particular day was almost 100 degrees. Not good for him since he's not supposed to overheat for health reasons. He completely ignored my coaxing and motivations to come into the house. I slathered him with sunscreen, waited for a while and tried again....to no avail. My next step was to cool him down. I was hot so I knew he was. I sprayed him down with cold water. He laughed-hard. He loved it. He did get up which excited me for a second. That was short lived because he decided to run out into the street. He was having a great ol' time. I just wanted to make sure we kept his fun in the yard not the street. Holding up traffic would never faze him. I got him back to the sidewalk and he sat down again.

At this point I didn't know what I was going to do. I just sat out there with him. Another 10 minutes or so went by and I decided I needed to get him inside. I tried dragging him but we were wet. His hands kept slipping from mine (which to him was evidentally very hilarious as well.) I ran inside and grabbed a sheet. I wrapped it around his waist and started tugging...

Enter officer B. I'm not sure if a neighbor called the police or if he was just driving by but, come he did. At this point the day became funny to me too. He asked what was going on and I let him know, without telling him all Tim's medical background, that I was trying to get him in the house and out of the heat for health reasons but he refused to come.

Officer B. is a very serious guy. He walked over to Tim and asked, "Young man, what's your name?" I spoke up, "He's nonverbal his name is Tim." Very confidently he continued, "Your mom says you need to get up, it's time to do as she says." Tim didn't budge. Not a shock. "Young man, your cheeks are red, get up or I'm calling the paramedics and they'll take you to the hospital." Without missing a beat, the officer, who obviously wasn't bluffing, called for an ambulance! I said, "Just so you're aware, he probably doesn't understand you, he's about 2 years old developmentally." His hand held was to his face again in about a second flat. "Cancel that." I was trying not to laugh.

At this point another officer showed up as well. They decided together they'd lift Tim's wet dead weight into the house. Tim didn't laugh through this but you sure could see the gleam in his eye. They moved him MAYBE 2 inches. Officer B. said his back wasn't going to take it and if I got to the point where I thought it was medically urgent, I could call 911 and they'd send out the paramedic. They got back in their cars and drove off. I wrapped the sheet around him again and tugged him into the house where he laughed and laughed. What a turkey.

What spurred me into telling this story? Probably the note I received home from school. It read, "Tim sat down in the road today at the library. The Nampa fire department had to come move him."

11 comments:

♫KatieRaff♫ said...

You tell the most hilarious stories. I can totally picture you trying not to laugh.

The Yearsley's said...

LOL! That is the most HILARIOUS thing I've ever heard! I read it to Glenn and he nearly wet himself laughing so hard too! That Tim is quite the character! Oh man...so so funny!

Synergy Girl said...

Oh my goodness...that is so funny!!! I am SOOO amazed that you CAN get him anywhere!! What amazes me more is that two grown men COULDN'T!!!! HAHAHAHA!!! Well, I do hope he doesn't make a habit of setting out in the street!!

Tanielle said...

Oh my heck! What a story to remember!! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Hilarious! Tim is in the perfect home! I'm not sure if I could laugh through some of that. I'd certainly laugh when it was all over though! You're awesome!

Karine said...

OH MY GOSH! I missed reading your blog, I have been so busy, today I couldn't stop laughing. Life is interesting! Especially yours! WOW! you amaze me Trina :) Next time that happens, call maybe together we can do it. OH good luck :) I think he is laughing inside :) what a cutie! Although I am sure at that moment you were not thinking those thoughts LOL

Trina said...

Karine,

Actually, I knew he was laughing. And besides when the cop was there it was quite a loud one. lol.

SouthfieldFam said...

Too cute! I used to babysit an autistic boy when I was a teenager and he was doulbe my weight! He KNEW there wasn't a thing I could do if he planted himself right where he wanted to be! ;o) It's amazing how someone who doesn't speak can make there point so clear! ;o) LOVE it! Can't wait to meet him!

staz5edu said...

I can say I have had close to the same experience with some of my students over the years. Keep laughing cause its a memory. I am glad Tim is such a joy to have in your home. I hope I will meet him one day.

A.Lee said...

That last paragraph got me laughing out loud. Great story. I can't imagine trying to convince a 190-lbs boy to do something that I couldn't make him do. You are awesome.

Sue Ann said...

You have the patience of Job! He is blessed to have you as his mother!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...