A Poor Wayfaring Cat of Grief
Wow. What a day. Let's start at the very begining, a very good place to start (do you hear the music too?). A couple weeks ago a very hairy, fluffy, scruffy kitty started hanging out at our patio door. Neicia's cat Tonks, wasnt' too fond of the idea of having to share her food and territory with the scruffian. Probably the first thing Tonks and I have agreed on. Jaide wasn't too fond of the idea that I wouldn't let the cat come in the house, or keep it for that matter. Kevin knew he'd already pushed it with this non-fan-of-pets-wife by adding a new kitten and puppy to our household in the last 3 months. (Oh, and I shouldn't forget about the new tortoise, Speedbump, on Christmas day...but that's another story). So he supported me (off and on) in not adopting the cat.
He stayed an outcast....until it got REALLY cold. Then Kevin's heart melted for a few hours. I came home to find the cat cuddled up in my living room, being petted by my very happy youngest. She quickly said, "Dad let it in." His defense was that he just wanted to make sure it wasnt' starving and freezing. When enough of my family members had run their fingers through it's hair and they'd named it "Molly" (my childhood cat's name) it had to go back out. A few days later, after this cat and Tonks went their rounds all morning long, Kevin put the cat over the fence, you know, to give it a nice hint like go bother some different neighbors. Thirty seconds later it was back on the patio.
Here's the turning point of our story. Last Sunday, Kevin had to stay home with Tim during church so I could sing. As the rest of us were loading up in the van Kevin brought the cat out and said to drop it off at the church so it could find someone else to hangout with. So we did. We got to the church and let it out of the van. That's the last time I thought I'd ever see it again. Boy was I wrong!
Today, one week later. We were sitting in sacrament meeting, all was quiet for a moment as the young men passed the sacrament. We heard a little scuffle in back of us and some snickers, then we see a cat, not just any cat, "Molly", darting through the gym, escaping the hands of quite a few men trying to catch it then into the chapel right under the benches and up to the sacrament table when Kevin's friend Todd Mikesell caught the cat and took it outside. Jaide and Neicia just about fell off her chair laughing so hard. I'm sure not many people were thinking of the Savior at this point of the sacrament.
Later, in the foyer one of the sisters I was gabbing with pointed to the front foyer doors and laughed at the cat looking in at all of us. We got to the car and Kevin was mortified from all the comments like, "Thanks for the entertainment during the sacrament." and "So that was your cat that ran through the chapel, huh?" My kids could have kept it quiet...yeah, right. As we were pulling out of the parking lot we saw the cat, following a sweet older sister from our ward to her car. Kevin said, "Go get the stupid cat and we'll take it to the pound tomorrow." My allergies and I ran through the church yard and grabbed the cat. In the car McKenna reminded Kevin that he'd promised her the next pet. Jaide had many protests about how the pound will just put it to sleep. I could see where this was going. I told Kevin we didn't have to wait for tomorrow. We could just drop it off on the door step of the animal shelter and it'll hang out until they get there tomorrow morning and take it in.
I lost. We now have a new pet. We also found out Molly is a boy. That name won't work. As with most of our pets, they're named after characters. We have Jasper from Twilight, Tonks from Harry Potter, Speedbump already had it's name but that is Kalten's nick name from his days playing hockey and we all know he's quite the character. The kids decided to name this cat Charlie Chapel. Close enough to Chaplin but with a little reminder of how he became ours everytime they say his name.
***New update*** 1 wk. later
Charlie Chapel has a new home. Let me just say, That cat REEKS!!!! and you can't wash it out. Even my husband agrees (again) that this cat is not for us. Phew! I'm sure you're all wondering,
the kids were over it in a day.
Wow. What a day. Let's start at the very begining, a very good place to start (do you hear the music too?). A couple weeks ago a very hairy, fluffy, scruffy kitty started hanging out at our patio door. Neicia's cat Tonks, wasnt' too fond of the idea of having to share her food and territory with the scruffian. Probably the first thing Tonks and I have agreed on. Jaide wasn't too fond of the idea that I wouldn't let the cat come in the house, or keep it for that matter. Kevin knew he'd already pushed it with this non-fan-of-pets-wife by adding a new kitten and puppy to our household in the last 3 months. (Oh, and I shouldn't forget about the new tortoise, Speedbump, on Christmas day...but that's another story). So he supported me (off and on) in not adopting the cat.
He stayed an outcast....until it got REALLY cold. Then Kevin's heart melted for a few hours. I came home to find the cat cuddled up in my living room, being petted by my very happy youngest. She quickly said, "Dad let it in." His defense was that he just wanted to make sure it wasnt' starving and freezing. When enough of my family members had run their fingers through it's hair and they'd named it "Molly" (my childhood cat's name) it had to go back out. A few days later, after this cat and Tonks went their rounds all morning long, Kevin put the cat over the fence, you know, to give it a nice hint like go bother some different neighbors. Thirty seconds later it was back on the patio.
Here's the turning point of our story. Last Sunday, Kevin had to stay home with Tim during church so I could sing. As the rest of us were loading up in the van Kevin brought the cat out and said to drop it off at the church so it could find someone else to hangout with. So we did. We got to the church and let it out of the van. That's the last time I thought I'd ever see it again. Boy was I wrong!
Today, one week later. We were sitting in sacrament meeting, all was quiet for a moment as the young men passed the sacrament. We heard a little scuffle in back of us and some snickers, then we see a cat, not just any cat, "Molly", darting through the gym, escaping the hands of quite a few men trying to catch it then into the chapel right under the benches and up to the sacrament table when Kevin's friend Todd Mikesell caught the cat and took it outside. Jaide and Neicia just about fell off her chair laughing so hard. I'm sure not many people were thinking of the Savior at this point of the sacrament.
Later, in the foyer one of the sisters I was gabbing with pointed to the front foyer doors and laughed at the cat looking in at all of us. We got to the car and Kevin was mortified from all the comments like, "Thanks for the entertainment during the sacrament." and "So that was your cat that ran through the chapel, huh?" My kids could have kept it quiet...yeah, right. As we were pulling out of the parking lot we saw the cat, following a sweet older sister from our ward to her car. Kevin said, "Go get the stupid cat and we'll take it to the pound tomorrow." My allergies and I ran through the church yard and grabbed the cat. In the car McKenna reminded Kevin that he'd promised her the next pet. Jaide had many protests about how the pound will just put it to sleep. I could see where this was going. I told Kevin we didn't have to wait for tomorrow. We could just drop it off on the door step of the animal shelter and it'll hang out until they get there tomorrow morning and take it in.
I lost. We now have a new pet. We also found out Molly is a boy. That name won't work. As with most of our pets, they're named after characters. We have Jasper from Twilight, Tonks from Harry Potter, Speedbump already had it's name but that is Kalten's nick name from his days playing hockey and we all know he's quite the character. The kids decided to name this cat Charlie Chapel. Close enough to Chaplin but with a little reminder of how he became ours everytime they say his name.
***New update*** 1 wk. later
Charlie Chapel has a new home. Let me just say, That cat REEKS!!!! and you can't wash it out. Even my husband agrees (again) that this cat is not for us. Phew! I'm sure you're all wondering,
the kids were over it in a day.







9 comments:
Oh my stars! He he he......That....is...a....truly...hillarious.....story! (That is my version of laughing and typing!) We love you guys!
Glad to know it has a good home! That was a very funny sight to see in deed in church. It was funny how it went to the boys serving sacrament. Their looks were priceless. The lady behind us couldn't stop laughing for the longest time. It was funny! Glad to know the cat will have a loving home. Some things are just meant to be Trina. Like his new name!
I can't believe I missed that! Hubby and I were taking turns at church and with a sick kid. He came home and said, "Oh...and a cat ran through the chapel during sacrament." I was like "What?! How? Why? What?!" Now I'm glad to have gotten to the bottom of all this. You can truely say you didn't choose the cat--it chose you!...and wouldn't give up. :)
That is too funny! I wish I was there to see the cat in sacrament. That makes for some good entertainment.
NO WAY!!! hahahahahaha!!!! I can't believe ya'll kept him! May as well...after all he put ya'll through!!!!!! Well you poor thing...hopefully how don't have a major allergic reaction to all those pets! You are one nice mom!
So funny! It looks like mom's allergies took a back seat to Mr Charlie Chapel. At least he's spiritual and persistant! :D
Yes, Kalten is adorable!!!!
Trina! Too hysterical!!!!!!!!!
Oh man...that is too funny...!! So you have gone from no pets to FOUR pets in a matter of a couple months...YOU BRAVE WOMAN YOU!!!
I would SOOO have loved to be there for that one! You are too nice about pets. I could have taken care of it for you--found a nice little farm and dropped it off.
Post a Comment